Hoses are basically hollow tubes made of flexible materials like rubber, special grades of polyethylene (like LDPE and LLDPE) etc. These are generally used for transport of fluids from one place to another. They are not to confused with pipes. Pipes are made of rigid materials whereas hoses as mentioned above are flexible.
Basic factors affecting hose design
– Distance of transportation
– Pressure ratings
– Chemical compatibility with the fluid to be transported etc.
– Choice of materials of hoses also plays a key role
There are many other chemical and physical factors which determine the designing of a hose pipe. Sometimes they are made of a mixture of materials and composites like nylon. PVC, etc. All this to enhance its strength, performance and properties.
Hydraulic hoses for example, are made of layers of material where its construction is divided into three layers.
1. Tube – It is either made of plastic or rubber depending on conditions of operation. It comes in direct contact with the fluid.
2. Reinforcement – It is kind of a skeleton which is to sustain internal and external pressures.
3. Cover – It protects the hose from wear, abrasion, harsh weather etc.
Due to their flexibility and strength they find application in various places starting right from your home to industries to fire extinguishers. Others include,
– It is sometimes used for irrigation purposes
– It is even used to transport fuels at times
– They have been included in the air brake systems in locomotives, automobiles, etc. for a long time now.
– Rubber hoses find use in homes, where they are used in gardening along with extensions like sprinklers, sprayers etc.
– Many industrial hoses also exist for heavy transportation. For example: Pharmaceutical industries do use hoses to move fluids around the plant.
– Large pressure drop sustaining hydraulic hoses are used by firefighters extensively.
Rubber hoses are very handy due to them being lightweight and having a good strength. Hoses are really cutting into everyone’s home. They can potentially be transformed into the best medium for transport of fluids with proper research and assessment.
– Even though the rubber hoses may be very convenient to use they come with a disadvantage of not being weather and high temperature resistant.
– They even are hazardous at certain places where when they are attached to sprays, they produce aerosols, which when inhaled by us are harmful.
– Even the smallest of holes in the hose may lead to leakage and quite a change in pressure drop. Also, this is very likely with hoses than the pipes due to their material of construction.
Many technologies have been associated with increasing the strength of the hoses by reinforcing them. They have developed a lot with respect to their properties over the years. This has been possible by the revolution in technology in general. All this has led to enhanced properties of the hose and giving high duty, durable and reliable source of transport of fluid in most cases.
Hoses are all in all good transporting medium and easy to use with it being less tedious too.